Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Plans

I am in the midst of thinking about how to manage a change in my life goals. I am not really melodramatic at all, I just have no other way to get at this particular line of thought. I want to make a break with what I have been, a project management professional, for the past 15 years. I think it is time to reinvent me.

I started working on a Ph.D. in September of 2003. I know that seems a long time ago, but in the doctoral level degree pursuit it is not at all unusual to spend seven years on the process. This is especially true if one is going at it through distance learning. Let's deal with my pet peeve right up front. Distance learning is not correspondence courses, and I should know as I did a lot of those while in the U. S. Army. I can honestly tell anyone interested the difference, but the important thing is to hear me when I say it is a rigorous program of learning characterized by one-on-one interaction with a Mentor, Professor, or Instructor. (Depends on what your school calls these professionals.)

Anyway, I decided I needed to use this terminal degree. Moreover, I want to use it as a Mentor teaching other distance learners. This position is called "Online Faculty." Many colleges and universities are now opening such "online" programs, and I think they are quite lucrative and I know they can be expensive. I want to toss my hat into this career area. I am soon going to have the terminal degree, and I long ago realized I enjoyed mentoring and coaching. This is where I want to be.

Later on I will enter a discussion on the misery called AACSB versus ABCSP certification of collegiate business schools. This is one you should not miss. It is a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment